DESIGNATION OF LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS.
This is Sec. 1004. of the San Francisco Planning Code, titled “DESIGNATION OF LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS..” It is part of Article 10, titled “PRESERVATION OF HISTORICAL ARCHITECTURAL AND AESTHETIC LANDMARKS.” It contains 6 laws.
(a) The HPC shall have the authority to recommend approval, disapproval, or modification of landmark designations and historic district designations under this Code to the Board of Supervisors. Pursuant to the procedures set forth hereinafter:
(1) The Board of Supervisors may, by ordinance, designate an individual structure or other feature or an integrated group of structures and features on a single lot or site, having a special character or special historical, architectural or aesthetic interest or value, as a landmark, and shall designate a landmark site for each landmark; and
(2) The Board of Supervisors may, by ordinance, designate an area containing a number of structures having a special character or special historical, architectural or aesthetic interest or value, and constituting a distinct section of the City, as a historic district.
(b) Each such designating ordinance shall include, or shall incorporate by reference to the pertinent resolution of the HPC then on file with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, as though fully set forth in such designating ordinance, the location and boundaries of the landmark site or historic district, a description of the characteristics of the landmark or historic district that justify its designation, and a description of the particular features that should be preserved. Any such designation shall be in furtherance of and in conformance with the purposes of this Article 10 and the standards set forth herein.
(c) The property included in any such designation shall upon designation be subject to the controls and standards set forth in this Article 10. In addition, the said property shall be subject to the following further controls and standards if imposed by the designating ordinance:
(1) For a publicly-owned landmark, review of proposed changes to significant interior architectural features.
(2) For a privately-owned landmark, review of proposed changes requiring a permit to significant interior architectural features in those areas of the landmark that are or historically have been accessible to members of the public. The designating ordinance must clearly describe each significant interior architectural feature subject to this restriction.
(3) For a historic district, such further controls and standards as deemed necessary or desirable, including but not limited to facade, setback and height controls.
(4) For a City-owned park, square, plaza or garden on a landmark site, review of alterations as identified in the designating ordinance.
(d) The Board of Supervisors may amend or rescind a designation at any time, subject to all of the procedures set forth in this Article 10 for an original designation; provided, however, that in the event that a landmark is accidentally destroyed or is demolished or removed in conformity with the provisions of Section 1007, or is legally demolished or relocated after compliance with the provisions of this Article 10, the Planning Director may request the HPC to recommend to the Board of Supervisors that the designation be amended or rescinded, and in such case the procedures for an original designation set forth in Sections 1004.1 and 1004.2 hereof shall not apply.
(Amended by Ord. 112-71, App. 5/7/71; Ord. 327-99, File No. 991871, App. 12/23/99; Ord. 82-07, File No. 070021, App. 4/20/2007; Ord. 94-12, File No. 120300, App. 5/21/2012, Eff. 6/20/2012)
Divisions (a), (b), (c)(3), and (d) amended; Ord. 94-12, Eff. 6/20/2012.
- § 1004.1.
- NOMINATION AND INITIATION OF LANDMARK AND HISTORIC DISTRICT DESIGNATION
- § 1004.2.
- DECISION BY THE HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
- § 1004.3.
- DESIGNATION BY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- § 1004.4.
- APPEAL TO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- § 1004.5.
- NOTICE OF DESIGNATION BY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
- § 1004.6.
- NOTICE OF AMENDMENT OR RESCISSION OF DESIGNATION