CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS REQUIRED.
This is Sec. 1006. of the San Francisco Planning Code, titled “CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS REQUIRED..” It is part of Article 10, titled “PRESERVATION OF HISTORICAL ARCHITECTURAL AND AESTHETIC LANDMARKS.” It contains 7 laws.
A Certificate of Appropriateness shall be required and shall govern review of permit applications as provided in Sections 1005(e) and 1005(g), except in the specific cases set forth in Section 1005(e), for the following types of work affecting the character-defining features as listed pursuant to Section 1004(b) of the Code:
(1) Any construction, alteration, removal or demolition of a structure or any work involving a sign, awning, marquee, canopy, mural (as set forth in Planning Code Section 1005(g), or other appendage, for which a City permit is required, on a landmark site or in a historic district;
(2) Exterior changes in a historic district visible from a public street or other public place, where the designating ordinance requires approval of such changes pursuant to the provisions of this Article 10;
(3) The addition of a mural to any landmark or contributory structure in a historic district, which is not owned by the City or located on property owned by the City, as set forth in Planning Code Section 1005(g), regardless of whether or not a City permit is required for the mural; or
(4) Alterations to City-owned parks, squares, plazas or gardens on a landmark site, where the designating ordinance identifies the alterations that require approval under this Article 10.
The procedures, requirements, controls and standards in Sections 1006 through 1006.8 shall apply to all applications for Certificates of Appropriateness; provided, however, that the designating ordinance for a historic district, or for a City-owned park, square, plaza or garden on a landmark site, may modify or add to these procedures, requirements, controls and standards.
(Amended by Ord. 222-72, App. 8/9/72; Ord. 249-96, App. 6/19/96; Ord. 327-99, File No. 991871, App. 12/23/99; Ord. 94-12, File No. 120300, App. 5/21/2012, Eff. 6/20/2012)
Undesignated introductory paragraph and undesignated concluding paragraph amended; Ord. 94-12, Eff. 6/20/2012.
- § 1006.1.
- APPLICATIONS FOR CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS
- § 1006.2.
- REVIEW BY PLANNING DEPARTMENT
- § 1006.3.
- SCHEDULING AND NOTICE OF HEARING
- § 1006.4.
- CONDUCT OF HEARING; DECISION
- § 1006.5.
- NATURE OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION DECISION
- § 1006.6.
- STANDARDS FOR REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS
- § 1006.7.
- APPEALS OF A CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS