Application Limited to Residential Levels. The maximum lot coverage and separation of building requirements of this section shall apply in Mission Bay Use Districts at all residential levels. The level of perimeter dwelling units as defined in Section 996(b)(8) shall not deemed to be a residential level as that term is used in this section.
Maximum Lot Coverage. The maximum lot coverage of all buildings and structures at all residential levels on each lot, excluding obstructions permitted by Subsection (d) below, is 75% of the lot area.
Minimum Building Separations. The minimum separations between building facades for various building types, excluding obstructions permitted by Subsection (d) below, are as follows:
|Combinations||Buildings that are 2 or more stories over parking||Buildings that are 3 or more stories over parking and any other combination|
|front to front||30’||30’|
|front to rear||25’||30’|
|rear to rear||20’||30’|
|front to side||20’||30’|
|rear to side||15’||15’*|
|side to side||none||none|
|* Required only if a facade contains a window providing required light to an occupied room.|
Permitted Obstructions in Building Separations. The following obstructions permitted over streets and alleys and in required setbacks, yards, and usable open space by Sections 136 and 942(b) shall also be permitted in required building separations required in Subsection (c) above and shall not be deemed to be lot coverage.
1. Overhead horizontal projections as provided in § 136(c)1 except that the requirement of a minimum head room of 7½ feet shall not apply.
2. Bay windows, balconies and similar features, as provided in Sections 136(c)2 and 3 and 942(b), except that the requirement of a minimum head room of 7½ feet shall not apply.
3. Fire escapes, as provided in § 136(c)4.
4. Chimneys, as provided in § 136(c)6.
5. Retaining walls, as provided in § 136(c)13.
6. Steps, as provided in § 136(c)14.
7. Railings and grill work, as provided in § 136(c)15 and 16.
8. Garden structures, as provided in § 136(c)21, 22 and 23.
9. Decks, as provided in § 136(c)24.
Meaning of Terms Used. Various terms used in this section are defined as follows:
1. Building Separation.The distance between facades of buildings measured in lineal feet without regard to obstructions permitted by Subsection (d).
2. Facade.The exterior face of a building excluding permitted encroachments and obstructions.
3. Front Facade.The facade of a building abutting a block or midblock lane. In the case of a building on the corner of a street and midblock lane, the “front” is the facade abutting the street. In the case of a building on the corner of two streets, the “front” is the facade of building which is the primary orientation of the living room of the greater number of units. In the case of a building not abutting a street or midblock lane, the “front” is the facade which is the primary orientation of the living room of the greatest number of units. For cases not meeting the foregoing definitions, the “front facade” shall be determined by the Zoning Administrator.
4. Rear Facade.The facade of the building opposite or most nearly opposite to the front facade.
5. Side Facade.The facade of a building between and joining the front and rear facades.
6. Lot Coverage.The portions of a lot covered by a structure or structures excluding permitted encroachments and obstructions.
(Added by Ord. 63-91, App. 2/27/91)